1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicks dying

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by blackstarguy, Apr 16, 2016.

1. blackstarguy

blackstarguy New Egg

Apr 7, 2016
    Hi all. I ordered a dozen black star chicks and they came in yesterday. I have them in a huge tote with softwood shavings and a 100 watt light bulb about a foot above them. I lost the runt overnight and two more today. Two others aren't looking good now either. Is it common to lose this many or are we doing something wrong? Thanks!

2. ceceuu

ceceuu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2014
    What is the temp? Should be 90 degrees. Do you have water for them? If you used electrolytes -not too strong. You only put in 1/8 teas or so per gallon. Maybe get a sheet to cover the shavings for a few days to prevent eating them. Clean pasty butt. Are they moving around eating and drinking? You can give them hard boiled eggs if they are stressing out. Read these forums
    People on here are wonderfully wise and experienced.

3. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Do they have a place to cool off? They could be getting too hot as well, difficult to say without seeing your set up.

4. blackstarguy

blackstarguy New Egg

Apr 7, 2016
    [​IMG]

5. blackstarguy

blackstarguy New Egg

Apr 7, 2016
    They have been moving around good. The water is on the opposite side from the light. Not sure if my pic uploaded? They all have found the food and water.

6. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Your picture looks good, and they are all under the light so they are not too hot. I like to dip their beaks a couple of times a day to make sure they are drinking.

They may have gotten banged around during shipping. Sorry you lost some.

You might want to try a drop of infant vitamins (no iron) in their beak once a day, or a mixture like sav-a chick or nutri-drench. It can help them recover.

1 person likes this.
  7. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  8. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I'm so very very sorry you lost some. That's so sad. Seems like your doing everything right. As long as they have a place to warm and cool as they need the others should be alright. I would give the nutri drench and maybe go in a few times a day and make sure they are eating and drinking. When you unpacked them from the box, did you dip each ones beak into the water so they know where to go to get it? ALSO each week drop the temperature by 5 degrees until room temp. If they are not eating maybe try a bit of boiled egg? I really hope the others do well. I don't think you did anything wrong. Sometimes the stress of shipping and the trip is difficult on them. Keep us posted and I hope all goes well.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  9. TroyerGal

TroyerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

I lost 4 out of 29ish... i think it's pretty common :)
    some people told me it was coccidiosis... don't be scared about that... just make sure your brooder is clean and dry :)
    Jesus loves you!!

10. nikkers390

nikkers390 Chillin' With My Peeps

I got 40 chicks from 2 different hatcheries by mail. They are almost 2 weeks old. I lost 2 by the next day, but all the others are doing great. Here is what I did for mine. When they arrived, I gave them grogel. I then mixed medicated chick starter with plain greek yogurt till the feed was moist and crumbly. I had bottled water for them. They love the moistened food and are growing like weeds. They still get feed with yogurt. This way there is also far less waste since they cannot scratch it out. They also use less water to digest their food.
    This worked for me. I'm sure others have their own methods. Good luck with the babies.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by