Chicks dying

David Lassiter

In the Brooder
Dec 19, 2016
North Carolina
I've got a problem and I can't seem to figure out what it is. I had 13 chicks, 3 weeks old, out in the brooder along with two 5 week old chicks. About a week ago I looked in the morning and 2 were dead. Didn't really think anything about it because I know things happen, but then I'd have 1 dead every other day it seemed like. 7 of the young chicks have died so far.

I noticed one of the dead ones had a few lice on it. Still trying to figure out how since the brooder is in my garage. I then checked the others and all of them had it. I got some dust to put on them to kill them, forgot which kind, and it seemed to work. Well that was Wednesday, and I've had 2 more still die since then. I've been paying a lot more attention to them and the ones that die seem to have their eyes shut all the time, and aren't as energetic as the others. Still eating and drinking though. I've now got another acting the same way, so I'm thinking it my not make it through the night.

WHAT AM I MISSING? AND WHAT CAN I DO?

I give them medicated starter food with chick grit mixed in. Change out the water daily. The heat is contained to one side of the brooder, so they have another 3ft of room to get to if they're hot. I use puppy pads for the flooring for easy clean up. I've read to put poly vi sol in the water so I'm getting ready to go get that. Other than that I don't know what else to do

Whet are you using over the puppy pad if anything , what dust or medicine are you giving them and is there living fusilli ventelated
I would separate the one that's not looking good and can we have a picture

I've got a problem and I can't seem to figure out what it is. I had 13 chicks, 3 weeks old, out in the brooder along with two 5 week old chicks. About a week ago I looked in the morning and 2 were dead. Didn't really think anything about it because I know things happen, but then I'd have 1 dead every other day it seemed like. 7 of the young chicks have died so far.

I noticed one of the dead ones had a few lice on it. Still trying to figure out how since the brooder is in my garage. I then checked the others and all of them had it. I got some dust to put on them to kill them, forgot which kind, and it seemed to work. Well that was Wednesday, and I've had 2 more still die since then. I've been paying a lot more attention to them and the ones that die seem to have their eyes shut all the time, and aren't as energetic as the others. Still eating and drinking though. I've now got another acting the same way, so I'm thinking it my not make it through the night.

WHAT AM I MISSING? AND WHAT CAN I DO?

I give them medicated starter food with chick grit mixed in. Change out the water daily. The heat is contained to one side of the brooder, so they have another 3ft of room to get to if they're hot. I use puppy pads for the flooring for easy clean up. I've read to put poly vi sol in the water so I'm getting ready to go get that. Other than that I don't know what else to do
How big is their brooder? What is the temp under the heat and at the other end of the brooder? Are the puppy pads scented? Any material in them to absorb moisture? Any possibility that they are eating such material? Any vehicles running in your garage, or other equipment? If chicks are infested with mites or lice, it can be enough to kill them.

How big is their brooder?  What is the temp under the heat and at the other end of the brooder?  Are the puppy pads scented?  Any material in them to absorb moisture?  Any possibility that they are eating such material?   Any vehicles running in your garage, or other equipment?  If chicks are infested with mites or lice, it can be enough to kill them. 

The lice have been gotten rid of. Temp under the lamp is 82, not sure what it is on the other side. It's a 4'x3' brooder. I have the side where the lamp is with wood on that side, the other side is chicken wire so it'll be cool. Wire top and bottom as well. The pads aren't scented, and I don't put anything on top of it. They absorb pretty much all of the moisture I would think. They're left over from my dog when she used to pee on them. I've never noticed them eating them either. I do have my lawnmower, go cart, and motorcycle in there but I haven't ran them in months.

My older chick, 5 weeks, keeps its eyes closed a lot, still eats and drinks, but seems like it's sleeping a lot and acting the same way, but it's been doing that for a while. Not sure if it's just strong enough to handle the sickness. Here are some pics of
it

David, last night, I was thinking about your dilemma. Your chicks don't look normal. How old was the chick in the first pic above? I'm wondering if it's your feed. How are you storing it? Where is it being stored? When was it purchased? What is the mill date on the tape on the bottom or top of the bag???

David, last night, I was thinking about your dilemma.  Your chicks don't look normal.  How old was the chick in the first pic above?  I'm wondering if it's your feed.  How are you storing it?  Where is it being stored?  When was it purchased?  What is the mill date on the tape on the bottom or top of the bag???

The 2 picks are of the same chick, it's about 5 weeks old, Easter egger. I never thought about the food, I've been trying to think of everything I changed.

I bought it maybe 2 weeks ago, about a week before they started dying. I'll have to check the date when I get home. I keep it stored in the garage with them with the other food I have. I just left it in the bag, it is partially open where I tore it. It was the first time they had eaten medicated food. The 2 older chicks had eaten unmedicated for the first 3 weeks and the younger one had eaten it for maybe 1 1/2 weeks when I ran out and switched to medicated. Would the switch cause these problems?

I'm suggesting that it may be your feed. You may have an old bag, or a bad bag. Hard telling. But if they were fine until you started that bag of feed, I'd place the blame there. That's not saying that is definitely the cause of your problem, but it's highly suspect. Check that tag date. My feed store will take any feed back that is not up to par. I have returned feed to both Blue Seal and TSC. That chick looks small and IMO poorly feathered for 5 weeks.

I'm suggesting that it may be your feed.  You may have an old bag, or a bad bag.  Hard telling.  But if they were fine until you started that bag of feed, I'd place the blame there.  That's not saying that is definitely the cause of your problem, but it's highly suspect.   Check that tag date.  My feed store will take any feed back that is not up to par.  I have returned feed to both Blue Seal and TSC.  That chick looks small and IMO poorly feathered for 5 weeks.  

I think you may be right, hopefully that was the problem. I looked at the bag when I got home and the date on the bag was 19 months ago. June 2015. Switched it all out with new feed with a November 2016 date. I added some save a chic electrolytes and probiotics in the water last night, they all seem to be doing better now. Hopefully this will solve the problem and there isn't any more to far gone. Just sucks that I lost so many and having to explain to my son that they all kept dying

I always check the date on each feed bag! No older than four weeks, and that's pushing it as far as some of the vitamins are concerned. Try adding Nutridrench or some other oral vitamin supplement to each chick, and good luck. Also, complain to the supplier, and notify the manufacturer. Mary

Back
Top Bottom