Chicks dying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Billylynn, May 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Billylynn

Billylynn In the Brooder

May 3, 2018
    Received 14 chicks at 8:30 installed in broader. Everyone up and doing fine. Moving around, eating. One by one they are laying down, legs stretch out behind them, and they just gradually fade away.

Temp is around 95. I have refilled food container twice. I have a Mason jar drinking dish and it doesn't seem like they're drinking very much. I'm down to 10.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Chicken tender Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Way too hot. Lower the temperatures. 85-90. Put some electrolytes or a bit of brown sugar in your water for the first day or so for a quick energy source.

3. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    :welcome did you dip their beaks in the water ? What kind of bedding are you using ? Lower temp to 90 for first week then 5 each week after. IE: 85 in a week.

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Free Ranging Premium Member

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Also make sure the brooder is big enough that they can get out of the heat if needed. How big is the brooder you're using? What does the brooder look like? How big is the heat lamp you're using? Are they inside your house, or out in a coop? If in a coop, how big is it?

oldhenlikesdogs likes this.
  5. Billylynn

Billylynn In the Brooder

May 3, 2018
    Thanks for your reply...! Broader:Old dog pen, 30x18. Planning to move them to next size dog cage soon...48x30. I put a piece of fabric around the sides to keep out the drafts. The B is in the garage. (No coop) Red rangers, raising for meat. Bedding is pine chips purchased from Tractor Supply. I just added a pinch of brown sugar to half a quart jar. When I set it up the chicks were fascinated by the air bubbles rising to the surface of the water and started drinking. Yeah!

6. ThatsneakyHen

ThatsneakyHen Chirping

May 22, 2018
    Hope the hens are OK, Super sorry for your loss:hit:barnie

7. Billylynn

Billylynn In the Brooder

May 3, 2018
    Heat lamp. Has a 125 watt red heat bulb. After reading all replies I'll turn it off for awhile until the outside temps begin to cool tonight.

8. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Free Ranging Premium Member

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    How warm is it during the day?

ETA - Is the garage open, or closed? If closed, you can remove that fabric as it won't be drafty in there in the first place. I'd also move them now to the bigger cage. They like to have room.

9. Billylynn

Billylynn In the Brooder

May 3, 2018
    An update. Thanks again for your help. I began to watch the temperature much more closely. Kept it at 85ยท. Had 3 escapees from the dog cage so that's why I lost them. Switched to a trough.
    Kept the trough in the garage and kept monitoring the temp as evenings cooled down. Then it got really hot today, up in the 80's. After moving them around the yard to keep them in the shade all day I gave up and moved them to the basement where the temp is pretty steady at 70. I think it will be easier to increase temp rather than to keep trying to cool things down. So far it's working okay. Except when the crazy things decide to pile onto the thermometer. I'm starting to get how people get hooked on these silly birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by