Chicks dying.

Healza

Hatching
Jun 12, 2021
I have kinda an emergency with my young chicks, we have lost 4 in the past 24 hours and a few hours before they pass they get very weak, to the point where they wont walk, eat, or drink. We immediately started treating for coccidiosis with corid in their water, it has only been around 18 hours but they continue to die and I have 2 right now that are extremely weak and wont drink even if you drip some on their beak. I haven’t seen any bloody stools or anything else that would generally point to coccidiosis but I cant think of what else it could be. Does anyone know how to save the weak ones or what else this could be?

THIS is not my emergency. Someone posted this to Facebook and I am trying to help her as no one has any idea and it's been 5 hours since she's asked for help. If you have any questions about the chicks, I can't answer. Sorry. It's against the rules of my fb group I'm in to pm her. Im not allowed to answer her question either since I'm not a vet. But I'll gladly get banned from the group for helping someone save their animals ❤️

So many things it could be....cedar shavings as bedding, brooder could be too hot, chicks could be eating wood shavings, shipping stress...

few hours before they pass they get very weak, to the point where they wont walk, eat, or drink.
Welcome To BYC

Hard to know what's going on with the chicks. Since they are not yours can you get your friend to maybe make an account? Photos of the chicks, their poop, of the brooder, what temperature the brooder is, what is being fed, where the chicks came from....

Where they are located in the world.
How old the chicks are?

THIS is not my emergency. Someone posted this to Facebook and I am trying to help her as no one has any idea and it's been 5 hours since she's asked for help.

My facebook chicken groups are far from helpful. After joining BYC, when I read their posts now I just sort of facepalm. She needs to join BYC. I'm sorry she's losing all her chicks, raising chicks isn't easy but losing them is a learning experience.

Treating cocci in young chicks requires some balance of the liquid medication with regular solid food. The chicks nutrients are already dangerously low, and the cocci takes what is left, and when they stop eating it's the end if people don't know how to open the beak and hand feed and hand medicate babies.

There are so many threads on corrid and cocci treatment she should reference those too. But not much about when hand feeding becomes necessary, which I am guessing it is for your friend. I am not talking about putting a drop of water on their beak, I mean shoving a ball of mash into the back of their throat while holding their beak open. I sleep way better knowing there is food in the birds crop along with the medicine. But corrid directions should say something about not giving Vitamin B with it too, so follow directions and shove some food in with the medicine would be my advice. I mix banana with crushed corn if I can't use my medicated feed, which corrid prohibits.

Supposedly there is vaccinated feed for chicks, maybe she can browse the BYC posts about cocci for her answers.

Back
Top Bottom