chicks dying

DarthCareBear

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 14, 2014
High Point, MO
Ive had several chicks die sporadically, all came from the same hatchery (but I bought them at the feed store) none of them have showed any signs of sickness, they just show up dead. Are there any common illnesses this could be from? The last 3 days ive been medicating their water with these packets that promote chick intestinal health. Ive only had one chick die since starting this (she died today)

One of the chicks is panting and acting sluggish, shehas been for a few days. Shes also got poop stuck to her butt. Shes one of the week old EE. Most of the ones that have died were RIR with one cornish cross as well

OK do you have other chickens who are outside? I am thinking there is always the possibility of coccidiosis at that age, however, the cocci come from the soil and would have to be transferred into the brooder by equipment/hands etc.

The other thing to check is your heat. Check your temps under the light and make sure there is room to get away from the heat. 90-95 degrees the first week of life and decrease by 5 degrees per week until 6 weeks or fully feathered, even on the head. It can be warmer than that under the light of course but they need to absolutely be able to get away from that heat to a nice cool section of the brooder. If your brooder is small, then temperatures become very important under the light as well as they could overheat in the coolest section.

One of the chicks is panting and acting sluggish, shehas been for a few days. Shes also got poop stuck to her butt. Shes one of the week old EE. Most of the ones that have died were RIR with one cornish cross as well
OK panting is a sign of overheating (or can be). Check your temps - it is a sign that they are about to die.

You can clean the pasty butt off (if they cannot poop they will die so it must be washed off) by running warm water and putting her backside in the warm running water until it softens. Then remove it with your fingers. Of course wash your hands with soap afterward.

Ive had several chicks die sporadically, all came from the same hatchery (but I bought them at the feed store) none of them have showed any signs of sickness, they just show up dead. Are there any common illnesses this could be from? The last 3 days ive been medicating their water with these packets that promote chick intestinal health. Ive only had one chick die since starting this (she died today)
Read this: post number one.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/746509/how-to-deal-with-travel-stress-in-baby-chicks
Per the science techs at Bovidr Labs, you can use both Poultry Nutri-Drench and Pet Nutri-Drops with the same usage and dosage instructions as use for Poultry Nutri-Drench. ( in case your Tractor Supply or feed store is out of one or the other) Bovidr Labs supplements don't need digesting like the electrolytes do. The Drenches and Drops mainline directly into the bloodstream. 50% uptake in 10 minutes; 99% uptake in 30 minutes. I put it in the water for my chicks for the 1st 2 weeks to get them off to a strong start, using the 2cc per gallon dilution.
Best Regards,
Karen

Last edited:
http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/chickcare.html
Here is a temperature and chick guide if needed.

smile.png

Back
Top Bottom