1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks dying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sammy56, Feb 1, 2015.

1. sammy56

sammy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2014
    Ive hatched 13 chicks this winter after 2 weeks they hatched one of my chicks got a crispy eye lid cant even open the eye I thought other chicks pecked at her so I left it the next day,another got that in the eye then got,a big thing in the lips then I researched and found out that ifs fowl pox and it says there is no treatment I thought it will cure by it self next day 7 chicks died and now I have six left please help me how to cure it I am feeling reallly sad please help

2. ChickonInc

ChickonInc Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2014
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Fowl pox is a viral disease spread by the bites of mosquitoes. Your chicks haven't been in the world yet. Mosquitoes aren't around in winter, that wouldn't make sense. Someone must have gotten diseased in the egg. Give them electrolytes in their water a vitamins. You said he eye was crusty? It could be conjunctivitis. You should get some drops for the chicks.

3. sammy56

sammy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2014
    I live in bangladesh in here mosquitoes r all year round

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by