Chicks eat rooster.please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Katareshka, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Katareshka

Katareshka Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2016
    Michigan, macomb county
    Chickens eat rooster tail feathers.it started in September,i separated him and wait till his feather knobs open n grow.once he back,the moment he stand in front of them,they start do same.they eat his knobby feathers,creating bloody mess.its bleeding from skin too,because they peck it.i tried to spray garlic spray there,they don't care.i did separated him month ago,he stayed alone for ten days,i gave him nutro brown liquid.feathers grow,inch.he back to coop,all over.they only do it to him.he is on top of pecking order.they don't bother other chickens.so I created coat for him,he wore it for ten days,knobs grow under,i removed it yesterday.today I found blood on coop floor n see same picture,they follow him and peck his butt,tail area.he had to sit on highest roost half day,so they don't eat him.i put coat again,but now they eat his feathers around vent.and I can not cover it with fabric.here pictures[​IMG][/IMG]

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    What are you feeding? And how big exactly is the coop and run; and how many birds are living in that space?

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

What breeds do you have...?

It will not stop till he is healed.......

Cheers!

4. Katareshka

Jul 1, 2016
    Michigan, macomb county
    They eat chicken egg layer pellets,bread,salad leaves apples,.I have eleven egg layers and two roosters.big fenced yard to roam.pine tree to sit.

5. Katareshka

Jul 1, 2016
    Michigan, macomb county
    It was totally healed yesterday.i remove coat,and they pecked all these young feathers,who look like knobs again.

6. Katareshka

Jul 1, 2016
    Michigan, macomb county
    [​IMG]Rooster is on my avatar.i think Rhode isle.chicks re one well summer,one leghorn,one buff Orpington,most re brown isa

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

ISA brown are known to be aggressive peckers.....All Red birds are a bit more aggressive in pecking.....You might have to rehome the Rooster.....Not working....

Cheers!

8. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Layer feed has just the bare minimum protein content needed for egg production. With all the extras, they may not be getting enough protein and have turned to feather eating this rooster to make up the where their diet is lacking.

9. Katareshka

Jul 1, 2016
    Michigan, macomb county
    Brown Isa don't peck him,i have six.the black bird,wit yellow spots on neck bother him,also leghorn,white,and buff Orpington,who is light orange.i just made coat more closed

10. Katareshka

Jul 1, 2016
    Michigan, macomb county
    What food should I add?for meat breed?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by