1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicks eat to much grit?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by soccerguy17, Apr 17, 2007.

1. soccerguy17

soccerguy17 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2007
    washington
    i have six three week old chicks and i was told that they should always have access to grit so when i first gave the chicks a small bowl they devoured it within 5 minutes my question is can they eat to much grit or do they know when to stop? i kind of hestitant to give them more grit because after they ate all the grite the crops look like they were going to burst!thanks for the help!

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    You should be feeding a chick starter it has grit in it. NO EXTRA GRIT!

If they pig out on it you may very likely end up with an impacted crop and dead chicks.

3. Sharisr32

Sharisr32 Egg Killer ;)

Jan 14, 2007
    OH/PA Boarder
    Grit is like ice cream -- should be extra - and isn't needed if using chick starter - I did the same thing when I first started
    all my chicks ended up ok--

4. urbanhomesteader

urbanhomesteader Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2007
    Yorba Linda, CA
    If the chick started is the only food they don't need extra grit. As I understand it they only need extra grit if they are getting treats. When ever I give treats to my 3week old chicks I provide a small amount of grit. The first time I put in a lot thinking they would eat just what they needed but they ate it all. [​IMG] So now its just a little for each treat they get.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by