Chicks eating alot of food

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SteveMadonnaJ, May 5, 2016.

1. SteveMadonnaJ

SteveMadonnaJ In the Brooder

May 1, 2016
    This Saturday we will have our Rhode Island Red pullets for a week (they are approximately 2 wks old). They have nearly gone through a 5 pd bag or Nature's Best Organic Chick Starter/Grower food. Is this normal? They are growing and prospering very well.

2. DawnKD

DawnKD In the Brooder

Nov 10, 2015
    Sierra Madre, CA
    I bet a lot of it is getting beaked out of the feeder and you need to raise it a little higher so they can't waste as much. The chick starter is generally pretty flaky/light stuff and they do like to throw it about as they scratch and do their lil chick things.

3. SteveMadonnaJ

May 1, 2016
    It is raised, and very little is wasted

4. How many chicks?

5. SteveMadonnaJ

May 1, 2016
    8 .... sorry

6. You never mentioned how many you had...

Here are the average weekly feed consumption levels for full sized laying pullet chicks, from week 1 to week 9

Edit scrap that chart, it was for broilers...

For layers you can expect each one to eat about 10 lbs of food in the first 10 weeks...

So with 8 chickens you are looking at about 80 lbs of food in the first 10 weeks, this of course is proportional to their size, less now more later...

***Edit I see you posted 8 chicks, you should expect to have fed them about 5 lbs of feed in the fist two weeks...

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  7. I always buy the 40# bag of feed. 5 just doesn't go far enough, but they won't tell you that at the feed store cuz the smaller bags make more $. If it last to long, you can mix with the next bag of feed.

1 person likes this.

8. My first bag of starter lasted for 12 weeks for 3 barred rocks. And another 2.5 weeks for the next 10 more chicks. I actually do fermented feed.

9. scrambled please

scrambled please In the Brooder

Nov 30, 2010
    It is normal, they eat a lot, I agree the feed stores don't say anything, I was sent home with 3lbs. My next bag was 40 or 50. $$$$

10. We started 6 Welsummers, beginning the end of March. They've gone through most of a 20 lb bag of chick starter, and I picked up another bag yesterday after work.

[​IMG]

They are happy healthy birds, and they eat their food with relish. Now that they are outside, I suspect that I'll see a reduction in their feed consumption. They are very good foragers.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by