1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks eating bedding

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Leigti, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Leigti

Leigti Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    Hello, today I got three new baby chicks. I am using pine shavings and they seem to keep trying to eat it. They ate their food really well at first but now they prefer the shavings. This can't be good for them I'm assuming. This is how I have it set up so far, any suggestions for improvement? What can I do to stop them from eating the shavings? I've tried putting them down in front of their food dish and they pack at it for a while then go back to the shavings. [​IMG][​IMG]

2. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    For the first few days I cover the shavings with paper towels to get them eating, drinking and walking well. I also like to sprinkle some food on the paper towels to give them something to peck at - and make sure the crumbles aren't too big. I crunch some up so there is a lot of sizes to chose from.

Good luck with your new chicks! They are adorable.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  3. gizzyntaz

gizzyntaz Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2015
    Put some paper towels down over the shavings for a few days. Make sure to cover all of the shavings with the paper towels - buy lots! That should solve it.

4. Leigti

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    Thanks, I guess I will be putting down some paper towels. I used wood pellets the last time I had chicks and they didn't seem to have a problem. But they will dissolve down into sawdust which I know isn't good for them either. Maybe I can find a good paper towel sale this weekend :)

5. Leigti

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    I am going to feed them fermented food, right now it is just been soaked. The feed I got is almost like sand. Very uniform size and very small.

6. gizzyntaz

gizzyntaz Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2015
    The dollar store usually has paper towels. For this purpose I buy the cheapest possible - less than a dollar a roll if I can find them. I think I used paper towels for about a week, but they get messy really fast so I used a lot.

7. Leigti

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    Of course after I make this thread the little boogers decide to eat their food. Oh well, I'm going to put paper towels down anyway. I'll check out the dollar store. [​IMG]

8. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Maybe give them the choice of having the wet food and some crumbles on the paper towels. I think one reason they peck at the shavings is that in the mother raised state the mother takes them about and shows them tiny bits to eat.
    I think they may be looking for tiny bits that are good to eat.

9. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    I use puppy pads for the first week or so.

10. Leigti

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by