Chicks eating each others poop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JenMT, Feb 23, 2009.

1. JenMT

JenMT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Kalispell, Montana
    Is this okay? Why are they doing this and is this what all chicks do? Should I be picking out the poop chunks? Are they just bored? It has to be unsanitary for them to eat this. I add a layer of fresh pine shavings everyday and I have totally emptied and cleaned the water trough that they are in once before, about 10 days ago. They are 24 days old today and I have 13 of them. Maybe they are too cramped in there, they have about 15 sqft total. From what I've read this is enough room for another month or so. They are inside my house in my laundry room so I keep everything very clean, there is very little stinky smell and I monitor the temp. I give them plenty of food, water and a small amout of chick grit in their food and on the pine shavings too.

2. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    Pigs do it too!

3. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    Interesting... if mine even accidentally get some poo in their mouth they go nutty trying to shake it off and spit it out. I dunno.[​IMG]

4. 98 gt

98 gt a man of many... chickens

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    my dogs doit every now and then... but they brush thir teeth before they kiss me

5. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    I've actually read that it's good for their digestion when they are little. I think they all do it and it's nothing to worry about. Good Luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by