chicks eating grasshoppers, OK?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickenfever, Aug 20, 2008.

1. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    My DH thought it would be great fun to throw 3 giant grasshoppers into the chick brooder. [​IMG] Of course they devoured them. Was this OK? They are 3 wks old and don't get any grit, just chick starter.

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] My babies get introduced at less than a week - they're out with mom hen - and she catches bugs for them! Build an outside brooder/enclosure - so the babies can dig around in the dirt and such themselves.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  3. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    Will they be OK in the meantime?

4. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

they should be ok, but I would get some grit (even the parakeet/canary kind from the pet section of walmart or such) and "salt" their treat type food that may need some help getting ground up. Their chick starter won't need grit, but it helps when they start adding new things to their diet.

5. Melilem

Melilem Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    mmm grasshoppers! the chicks should be fine, although without the grit they may not get the full nutritional value of the grasshoppers... I have never had a chicken become cropbound from bugs.

6. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    Your chickens will be healthier in the long run if you feed grit. Whether you are feeding commercial ration only or not. Look for parakeet grit without oyster shell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by