Chicks eating mealworm substance

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Tamma, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Tamma

Tamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2012
    Adkins, TX
    I have 3 6-week old Red Star chicks. To keep them in the run when I am trying to leave, I have been giving them a tablespoon of the meal that holds the mealworms when I buy them from the pet store. I assume it's
    some kind of meal so it should be ok, right? They absolutely LOVE it! Thanks!

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    It's most likely wheat bran. Super good protien source and yes, good for them!

3. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    It's most likely wheat bran and is fine for your chicks. It may not be all that nutritious, depending on how long the worms have been in it but you're not giving them very much anyway. Now that you know how much your chicks like mealworms, you should consider raising them yourself. They are very easy and inexpensive to grow. You can learn all that you need to get started in the links contained in the first post of this thread. Oh, and BTW, [​IMG]

4. kellysmall87

kellysmall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

I feed mine mealworms at times but too much can give them upset stomachs.

5. Tamma

Tamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2012
    Adkins, TX
    Thanks! This is my first time having chickens and I am doing really well. I have been reading this forum extensively and have really profitted from all the great advice you veterans have to give. I am interested in raising mealworms but will wait til the chicks are older. I know my husband will probably give me a fit about having worms! Thanks again! Tamma

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by