Chicks eating newspaper....change to straw and eating that

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickengrl, Mar 20, 2011.

1. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Ok, we have 3-4 week old chicks in our downstairs brooder who were initially on newspaper with paper towels over that. We switched them to just newspaper after about a week and they had good solid legs. The problem is they have been really eating the newspaper this last week. We switched them to straw bedding today and a larger brooder and they have eaten some of the straw. This doesn't seem like it would be very good for them and maybe even give them impacted crops. Should we switch them to pine shaving? Just not sure what to do with them. They have free choice chick starter and can have all they want. We have not started them on grit yet since we are not giving anything but their crumbles. Please help!! Thanks! [​IMG]

2. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    I always start out with pine shavings, sometimes a little paper towel on top of the shaving the first few days, but pine shavings for sure. and I put the feeder on a piece of wood, or large stepping stone that is more than an inch high so the can see the feed and not lose it in the shavings as much.

3. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    I think I have chicks that are cardboard addicts. I put cardboard up around the base of the coop for drafts and the first layer of paper started to disapear when they got around 4 weeks. Then the got so addicted they didn't even try to hide the consumption of mass amounts of the stuff. I figured they were old enough not to be bothered by drafts anymore so I took down all the cardboard. When I go into the run to sit and talk to them I took a peice of cardboard to sit on and the true addicts where jumping for a bite of the stuff. It hasn't hurt anyone but it can't be good for them.

4. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I am worried it will hurt them eating newspaper and straw for good grief. We may try putting the pine shavings down. That's what we use in the outdoor coop and they don't eat it. Sometimes chickens really throw out a curve ball. [​IMG]

5. andalusn

andalusn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    baby chicks are not much different than human babies.. everything goes in the mouth. They are just hard wired to taste everything. in my outdoor brooder in the barn I either use grass hay that has smalll seed buds. The peeps really like eating the seeds and sampling the hay. When they are larger I spread shavings in the 8 ft brooder and leave them to it. They have their water and feeder to they "know" what that is. Anything else they decide to consume is up to them especially when I open the brooder and they can come and go.... and mingle with the larger birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by