Chicks eating small pieces of wood?

fhozt

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2021
I just got new bedding for my chicks and for some reason they dig to the bottom of the wood scraps are start to eat the small pieces. Is this healthy for them?

I bought it from a store which sells chicken and other supplies for live stock.

Do you still have the bag the bedding cake in? What color was the bag, do you remember what brand name was written on the bag? What is the name of the feed store?

I’m not sure where in the world you are but if by any chance you’re in the U.S and you got it from tractor supply, they sell pine chips or pine shavings in white or yellow bags.
Pine is typically used as bedding because it’s safer than cedar because it’s oils are less caustic and it’s less prone to carrying mold spores than oak but it isn’t necesarily safe to eat.

It's completely normal. Chickens explore things with their mouths (like babies) and yes chicks will eat bedding. Mine have eaten dirt, bedding, bugs, etc.

It's only a problem if they eat a lot of bedding, or large pieces of it, and clog up their crops.

If you have not started offering them grit yet, now is a good time to do so. It will help them break down any pieces of bedding that they've eaten.

Yes. Take it out. The best thing I found for my small chicks was a few sheets of newspaper with some of that shelf liner on top. It give them traction and is really easy to hose off. Just have enough that you can have a few sets to line your brooder while the clean ones are drying. I only used the shavings once - they were messy and honestly unnecessary. I’m saving them for nesting boxes

Back
Top Bottom