chicks eating styrofoam trailer siding

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by my chickens, Sep 15, 2012.

1. my chickens

my chickens New Egg

Jul 20, 2012
    N. Cal., U.S.A.
    as if i dont have enough going on with these chicks. they have started eating the styrofoam siding on my trailer, i cant get them to stop. i know this cant be good for them. they are free rangers, so they go where they want. i can block the area that they are eating now, but this stuff is all the way around my trailer.
    Thanks, ken

2. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    u definitely dont want them to eat syrofoam, but ive heard of chickens eating weirder things and being fine so hopefully the stuff they already ingested wont do the slightest harm. Maybe u could change the taste of the strofoam by putting something on it (vinegar, etc.) so they wont like it...idk. im really not sure how to stop them besides blocking their path

3. my chickens

my chickens New Egg

Jul 20, 2012
    N. Cal., U.S.A.
    well its been a couple of months now, and they are still picking at the styrofoam, not as often but i still catch them. i cant belivie how much they have eaten, but everyone seems to be ok. they are all so big now!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by