Chicks eating the pine bedding

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Flawedatdesign, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Topic says it all lol will this hurt them?

2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    It most likely won't. I have a speckled sussex who has an excessive pine addiction. It was impacted in her crop once. Just make sure you offer grit. Most if not all my other chicks eat it too, just not as much as the SS.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well...it could...if they ate enough. But mine always seemed to make a buffet out of it and I never saw any ill effects. [​IMG]

4. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    They will learn eventually that its not food or not,seems like chickens eat pretty much anything. Give you fair warning that you will see them eating discarded feathers too for some reason. I guess I starve my chickens by giving the free layer all day with treats at least once a day(more like 3) ,a flock block and a thousand sq ft. to roam for bugs and grass and accompanying weeds. So they need the feathers to survive![​IMG]

5. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    My chickens still eat the shavings first thing every time I replace with new bedding in the coop. They only do it for a few minutes but always seem excited about the new shavings until they realize it is really not as good as they expected. If they are chicks, make sure they are not getting impacted. If they are, wipe with oil and clean it out and they should be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by