1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicks/eggs in the bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by squeak1387, May 19, 2011.

1. squeak1387

squeak1387 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    bronson, fl
    I have some chicks that have already popped out still in with eggs trying to hatch. Is this ok? Will the chicks moving around and bumping the other eggs stop them from hatching? At what point do I take out the chicks and put them in the brooder?

2. Steph Martin

Steph Martin Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2011
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Hi....congrats....I've just gone through the same thing four days ago. I was using a hovabator (styrofoam box kind of thing) which had about 21 eggs and is about 1.5 x 1.5'. I left the first couple who hatched out in there for about four hours but they weren't drying off well because of the humidity so on the advice of a friend I set up my heat lamp and moved them to the brooder. After that I left each bird to hatch out in there to kind of catch its breath (about 1 to 2 hours) and then moved them to the brooder. They won't hurt each other and they really shouldn't be able to hurt any of the eggs left to hatch. I would assume that the people who design these incubators should take these things into consideration. I'd move them after a while....mine worked out and are going strong. Good luck. Let us know.[​IMG]

3. squeak1387

May 15, 2011
    bronson, fl
    Anyone else have any opinions on this one?

4. SadieSue

SadieSue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Tacoma, WA
    I've only just had my first eggs hatch this past weekend, but my understanding is that the chicks absorb the yolk just before hatching so have enough nourishment to stay in the incubator for up to 48 hours afterwards and that it's best to leave the chicks in until completely dry and most eggs have hatched. Opening the incubator before then risks losing crucial humidity that could hamper with the remaining eggs hatching. Also, the jostling around that the eggs get from the chicks doesn't bother them. Instead, the bumping and peeping of the chicks may just give the unhatched more incentive to hatch - they hear the others and are prompted to come out and play! However, as I said, I'm no expert. Just a newbie who has hatched 6 out of 9 eggs in my Brinsea this past weekend.
    Good luck with your hatch!

5. squeak1387

May 15, 2011
    bronson, fl
    So far I have hatched 6 out of 18 quail eggs and 9 out of 24 chicken eggs. But the chick are still coming. Not to sure about the quail though. I guess we will see. I am also kinda worried cause th water is looking pretty nasty in there from pieces falling into it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by