Chicks Escaping

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CowboyColby, Jun 24, 2010.

1. CowboyColby

CowboyColby Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2010
    My chicks are a little over two weeks old (Currently 13 chicks, 2 Turkey chicks) , I have two turkeys with them in the brooder. Well the last couple days five or six of them have been jumping over the side and running loose in the coop. At first I was catching them and putting them back and was going to add a top so they could not get out but instead just built a ramp for them to climb back in. Now the ones that can get out do but return when they want. I also placed food and water for them to find and now some of them stay out all night with no problems and this morning one of the turkeys had joined the escapees. At first I was worried but they have been fine for a couple days now so I guess they will be ok.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm sure they will be fine.
    My chicks, also two weeks old, are escaping their brooder. I finally gave up trying to catch them on our screened porch (where their brooder is) and just provide food and water on the outside. When they get ready they jump back inside the brooder.

3. CowboyColby

Jun 17, 2010
    When should I just do away with the brooder and leave them all out? It would be alot simpler.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:If they are going to be the only chickens in the coop, i.e., no adult birds for them to contend with and the coop is warm enough for their age, I would do it now. Just be sure and place food and water in several places where they have easy access to it.

5. CowboyColby

Jun 17, 2010
    They are the only ones as these are my first birds. I have many wateres and food so I may just turn them all out and keep the lamp on at night. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by