Chick's eye closed...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TinyTotsSeramas, Aug 17, 2011.

1. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    I have a 1 day old Serama chick that just hatched out lastnight, This morning her eye was closed. when I put a warm wet papertowl on it, she opened it back up. but now she has it closed again.. is it something I should be concerned about and is there anything I can do to help her with it? besides her hatch mates, she hasnt come into contact with any other chickens...

2. thatduckguyy

thatduckguyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Quote:She could be tired, give her a little while.

3. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg

But wouldnt she do it with both eyes and not just 1? even if I tap on the tank wall she'll jump and look with the open eye instead of opening the closed eye...

4. thatduckguyy

thatduckguyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011

But wouldnt she do it with both eyes and not just 1? even if I tap on the tank wall she'll jump and look with the open eye instead of opening the closed eye...

Weird.. I am kinda a noob to hatching so i wouldn't know much. tried my best, mine slept a day straight

5. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    One of mine had a closed eye. I left it for a day until my OH noticed, then I just picked the chick up and opened the eye for her. She's been fine with it since.

6. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:I had to clean it twice yesterday. she has it open today though..

7. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I have had some chicken chicks hatched occasionally with an eye closed. Sometimes the "goop" from the egg makes it close or an egg shell scrape it. I just apply a warm cloth twice a day and it works for the most part. Sometimes a bird's eye isn't normal later on but if she functions and it isn't genetic, carry on [​IMG]

8. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:Thank you Quail Lady! [​IMG]

9. chickens are great 12

chickens are great 12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2011
    Keep on putting a warm towel over her I, and she'll be fine! Nothings the matter, like she said, it probably scraped herself in the egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by