1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chick's eye has a bubble on it....[pic]AND NOW IT IS BLEEDING!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TreyClark281, Jul 17, 2007.

1. TreyClark281

TreyClark281 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    it has a bubble on it and it dosent hurt it as far as i know...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  2. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    you should get that checked out! it could just be a bacterial infection to make it inflamed, but it could also be a tumor or something. you should call your local vet

3. TreyClark281

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    ohhh ok.. [​IMG]
    ill tell my dad

4. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
  5. Fancy Feather Poultry

Fancy Feather Poultry Cooped Up

May 30, 2007
    Humans get a similar thing called a sty. Which is you eyes way of fighting againt bacteria thats has contacted the eye. All of which you do is hope it goes down with a luke warm towl. I maybe wrong butI have had it happen to me and it sting every blink, and will only go down with heat which help the poision come out. This maynot apply to chicken But pretty sure it might.

6. TreyClark281

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    IT IS BLEEDING NOW!!!!! HELP! what do i do???

7. spudchild

spudchild Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    Nashville
    One of my hen's had this happen. I was putting anti-bacterial cream on it, but it kept growing and covered her whole eye. I took her to the vet, and it was a small tumor. They removed it, and she's been fine ever since. It looked exactly like that picture when it first started. The vet said she had probably been exposed to the pox virus and the tumor was her body's way of fighting it off.

8. TreyClark281

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    awwww. i dont think my dad wants to pay a vet fee for doing that...[​IMG] poor bird... i love this bird..

9. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Is it bleeding where the dark spot is on it? My first thought was a sty too. She might have scratched it because it was itchy and that caused it to pop. I'd wash it with an eyewash and watch her.

10. spudchild

spudchild Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    Nashville
    Don't give up on your bird yet. It could be that it is just an infection. If not, you can probably treat her at home. You can go to the pharmacy and get drops for a human eye infection or just some bacitracin--normal human anti-bacterial cream.

Put the cream on the bump, but be careful not to get it in her eye because it will sting. If it keeps getting bigger over the next week it may be a tumor.

Your dad could take a razor blade and just slice the tumor off. The only difference between doing it at home and at the vet is at the vet they'll be able to have her on pain killers, so it won't hurt so much when it is removed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by