Chicks eyes sealed shut!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SundownWaterfowl, Sep 10, 2008.

1. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I have 2 one week old silkie chicks. I noticed today that their eyes get sealed shut, and I have to put some warm water on their eyes to unstick them. There is no discharge, their poop is normal, and they are acting normal. They arent sneezing or anything. My other 2 one week old chicks, and 4 five day old silkies are fine. I seperated the 2 chicks so they are alone in their own brooder.

I have them on Chlorotetracylcine. I just started them on that this afternoon. I am also give the healthy chicks some of that in their water also, just incase.

Why would this happen? They are fine. eating and drinking. Just that their eyes get stuck shut.

2. chickn

chickn Away for a bit

Apr 15, 2008
    New Hampshire
    i also have 2 birds like that, i dont know what it is or what to put them on, strange that i have no other symptoms either, yet!

3. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    This happened to a couple of my silkies that my friend gave to me. I just took a warm wash cloth and wiped them. It happened a couple times. She said she read that someone else had that happen with their silkies as well. Strange.

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

That's strange. I keep cleaning their eyes. And I am going to keep them seperate until it clears up.

But I wonder what causes it. Maybe just a cold? But there is no sneezing or anything else.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by