chicks eyes

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Trickpony, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Trickpony

Trickpony New Egg

Feb 9, 2007
    I just got 2 baby chicks and noticed in one of the they eyes are not open all the way is this normal? they are very very young?

2. Henriettahen

Henriettahen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Canada
    my chick had a problem with her eye were mucus was all over her nose and eyes...eventually it made it almost imposible to open it....is there any mucus..runny nose or anything??

3. Trickpony

Trickpony New Egg

Feb 9, 2007
    no there is no discharge.I have only had her 2 days and have only had chickens when i was a kid and now I have 2 other 6 month old chickens so this is new to me.

4. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    You might take a good look at the eye itself to check for swelling, damage, tearing, etc. If you don't find anything put a drop of saline solution in it to flush it out. Most importantly, I think, would be to add vitamins and electrolytes to their water. There is also a vitamin just for birds I have never tried but others think is better. I think it's called Avian 2000? You'll have to check with your pet stores on this one. I hope your baby is better soon!

5. Trickpony

Trickpony New Egg

Feb 9, 2007
    Thank you for the information.Are the electrolites the same for chickens as horses?I have some of those.I just called the feed store where I got them he tolld me they are 4 days old and sometimes one of the eyes are open and they might open on there own.Im not sure how much this kid knows thou.I will make a trip to the store and get some vitimins

6. Trickpony

Trickpony New Egg

Feb 9, 2007
    Poor little chick died today.thanks for your help anyway

7. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    I'm so sorry you lost your chick. Sometimes they just die for no apparent reason. I'm sure you did all that anyone could have.

8. Kitsune

Kitsune Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Manchester - England
    If there didn't seem to be anything obviously wrong other than the eye fused shut then it sounds like it could have been genetic, the chicks eyes are fused when in the egg and there are genes that control cell death to allow them to open (in a similar way to how human fingers form from 'flippers' in the foetus) if those genes were abnormal there is a good chance other genes were too. Genetic problems can cause a whole range of issues that you would not know from looking at it.

Now you have ony one chick it will need much more attention, you could try introducing her (slowly) to your other chickens but be vigilant as older chickens can get quite agressive to new youngsters.

9. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    I am sorry you lost your little chick.

Check with your feed store or Tractor Supply for vitamins and electrolytes specific for poultry. I would not give them the horse electrolytes.

10. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by