Chicks Falling Over On Backs?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by OtterCreekRanch, Jul 9, 2011.

1. OtterCreekRanch

OtterCreekRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    NE Texas
    I got some chicks from Ideal yesterday. When they came none of them were doing very well (which is suprising because I have NEVER had problems with any Ideal chicks before). I got them all to drink and eat and they are looking good now, running around, etc. Only problem is occasionally a few of them will fall over onto their backs. This would not be an issue except that one just fell over onto its back in the water dish! Luckily I just went over to check on them right after it happend so I was able to get it out before it drowned though it did have some water in its lungs. It sneezed a lot of it out and is standing up and moving around again, but now I am worried about it falling over in the water again. It is a very shallow dish (one of the waters with the red dish and screw on jar like you get at tractor supply), but when they fall over they have a hard to righting themselves again.

Any ideas why this is happening?

2. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

i got chicks from Ideal this week too.. of my d'Uccles one flipped over on its back and laid there.. feet straight up in the air... until i went to touch it's feet .. then it popped back up.. hasn't ended up on its back since.
    If it were me having several flip like that I would put some marbles in their water dish to keep them from drowning.. if they are still doing it come Monday give Ideal a call

this is the first time I have ever had a flipping chick.. and I have had chicks for 51 years now

3. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Quote:I have seen that before. I dont think it is anything to be to worried about. I have a cochin mix that is having some problems with her feathery feet and its a bit humorous. But if their legs look funny that might be something to pay attention to. The only thig to be worried about is the other chicks picking on the ones that cant get back up.

We all fall down sometimes [​IMG]

4. OtterCreekRanch

Mar 16, 2011
    NE Texas
    I called Ideal yesterday and got a refund on the ones that did not make it (first time I have ever had any poultry DOA, I guess the heat is hard on them during shipping this time of year). I didn't think to ask them about the falling over thing. Another one just did it again and this time s/he threw a fit flopping around on his/her back chirping up a storm until I finally came and helped it upright again. Then it ran off like nothing was wrong. This is like nothing I have seen before. They otherwise look fine. No leg issues at all. Just almost like their sense of balance is not what it should be.

I will get some marbles to put into their water when I go to the store later. The little one that almost drowned is just laying around a lot now so I am kinda worried about him/her. It is lifting it's little head up when I come up to the brooder but it is not getting up and running around like the others.

5. yinepu

Quote:I have seen that before. I dont think it is anything to be to worried about. I have a cochin mix that is having some problems with her feathery feet and its a bit humorous. But if their legs look funny that might be something to pay attention to. The only thig to be worried about is the other chicks picking on the ones that cant get back up.

We all fall down sometimes [​IMG]

none of mine have leg issues..

this one silly chick was acting like he needed belly rubs..
    in all honesty I have been around chickens and hatching eggs since I was born (51 years ago).. I've never seen any of ours flip.. and it didn't concern me.. I just figured he thought he was a turtle for a few minutes since he has been fine ever since

6. yinepu

Quote:that does make me wonder if it was a heat issue.. I got mine on thursday morning bright and early.. but no idea how hot it was on the truck from Ideal to my post office

the only one I do have that isn't acting like he should be is a little cochin roo (heavy mixed males).. he isnt growing like he should and seems a bit listless.. i have vitamins for him and have done the sugar/electrolite/water thing.. he looks like the typical "failure to thrive" chick... and he never flipped.. so go figure

7. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Try some B vitamins in the water.

8. OtterCreekRanch

Mar 16, 2011
    NE Texas
    I lost the little chick who had fell over into the water. No issues with any of the others since. My guess is it was heat stress at this point. Hopefully my next order (coming in 2-3 weeks) will fair a little better though it is expected to be just as hot or hotter.

9. MuckyPuppy

MuckyPuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    I have a little feather footed bantam that has flipped over on it's back. With mine I think the others keep knocking it over as it is one of the smallest. She is a little short chubby thing and all she can do is call for help and wave her fluffy legs and feet in the air when it happens. Maybe like mine yours are knocking each other over?

10. MuckyPuppy

MuckyPuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    Quote:Just read this part. I'm so sorry that you lost the little one. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by