Chicks feathering.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ole rooster, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Can anyone tell me the difference male and female chick feather? I have 6 I bought just for company for the GLW that survived and they some are getting longer wing feathers and tail feathers and the other aren't. Can I tell at a week old their sex that way? [​IMG]

2. kaankboom

kaankboom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2012
    In my experiance u cant tell until they grow up a bit. The male will start to grow longer feathers on its tail

3. Jubilee1111

Jubilee1111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    Austin, TX
    What breed are they? With Buff Orpingtons the roos tend to be slower at tail feathering and look a little taller and skinnier than the pullets. The pullet's wing feathers tend to be nice and even at the edges and the roos tend to have more irregular feathering to their wings.

Of course, this is just from observing the very few different clutches I've hatched and only that breed.

4. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I'm sorry. My mind said the breed but my fingers didn't get the message. They are Red Star from TSC.

5. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Red stars are what they call a sex link. The pullets are all red when hatched. The cockeriels are white. Those are what I purchased from TSC. Very sweet disposition and good egg layers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by