1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chick's feathers aren't growing

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mmango, May 18, 2008.

1. mmango

mmango New Egg

May 18, 2008
    hi... i'm brand new... to this forum and to chickens.

one of my one month old chicks isn't growing her feathers like the other one is... they are the same age, but different breeds. otherwise they are the same size, except the wing and tail feathers.

she also doesn't preen as much- some of her tiny feathers are sort of hanging out and the shafts are visible.

i'm not sure if this is normal or an indication of an illness... any advice will help.
    thanks.

2. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    I have 5 different breeds: RIR, Buff orpington, austrolorpe, lt. Brahma's and and easter egger. They have all feathered at completely different rates. The light brahmas only have feathers on their wings (at 3 weeks) The RIR is completely feathered except her head. I think its normal. Different birds mature at different rates. What breeds are yours?

3. mmango

mmango New Egg

May 18, 2008
    she's a araucana. and i just read they are supposed to have no tail... which explains why it isn't growing.
    the other one, i'm not sure what breed... a golden something or other...

thanks for your response. should i worry about her not preening? her wing feather shafts are getting quite long.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by