chicks feed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hen keeper, Mar 27, 2016.

1. hen keeper

hen keeper New Egg

Mar 24, 2016
    what i feed my 1.5 month old chicks
    plz advise me feed that they and grow fast!!!!

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Non medicated chick starter. You can feed that for the rest of their lives if you want. Just supplement oyster shell when they start laying eggs. As they grow sometimes a flock gets into the habit of scratching out allot of feed from container and leaving it to rot on the ground. To counter this move up to pellet form feed. There is all sorts of feed in pellet form. Birds should be at least twelve weeks old before using that. I use turkey/game bird finisher in pellet form. It's an all flock feed without the extra calcium in layer feed so I can feed it to cock birds and birds of all ages (assuming they are large enough to eat pellet). When growing out chicks my entire flock gets switched over to non medicated chick starter. I like simple and one feed type at a time is simple.

3. RobertPlamondon

RobertPlamondon Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2016
    Oregon
    Medicated chick starter. Don't use non-medicated chick starter until you're already good at spotting coccidiosis at a glance.

Robert

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    The birds are already 1.5 months old and outside I'd assume. Non medicated. They've already gotten an immune system to cocci at this age and outside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by