Chicks & feed.

somissemilyy

Songster
9 Years
Jun 5, 2010
Coldwater, MS
I have 16 baby chicks and they are about a month & 1/2 to two months and I was wonfering how long to feed them the STARTER feed, When to go to FINISHER and everything like that.

Also I see my my 3 laying hens eating the chick starter and it is medicated, is it okay for them to eat the chick feed cause it's hard to keep it away from them. The layers love the chick feed.

Thanks!!

Finisher os for meat birds; is that what they are? Usually you would switch to a grower or flock raiser feed now, then to a layer when they start laying. Around here, though, they often sell one feed labeled starter/grower, to be fed til they are ready for layer.

As far as I know, the medicated feed is OK for layers to eat and for the eggs, as the medication only affects cocci, but I don't have a source for that, It's just what I've read here.

I have a mixed age flock and just feed them all grower or flock raiser, whatever I can find. I offer oyster shell on the side for the layers. The young chicks fortunately have never bothered it that I've seen.

Fred's Hens :

If your flock is mixed ages, you probably shouldn't be feeding layer feed. It's calcium is too high for anyone other than a laying hen.

With a mixed flock, you'd be better served with flock raise or grower. That way, all the birds can eat the same food.

Definitely agree, no layer feed for the chicks, it damages organs, particularly kidneys.​

Back
Top Bottom