1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick's feet all curled up?!?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Livinwright Farm, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Livinwright Farm

Livinwright Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Carroll County
    I am wondering if there is a developmental problem, or if it is normal for a 1 day old chick's feet to be curled up when they walk?? Shouldn't their feet flatten out when they walk around???

2. crazyforchicks

crazyforchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    My day old chicks' legs are all curled up, but one of the chicks legs are starting to lay flat like it should be. I dont know much about day old chicks, this is only my second go at:caf Keep us posted. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  3. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Do a google search or search on BYC and you will find directions on how to make a "shoe" to hold the chick's toes flat. I had to do this recently with a baby chick and it only took a couple days for them to stay straight without the shoes on. Good luck!! [​IMG]

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yep, at a really young age you can create little "boots" to solve the problem.

The curled toe issue itself is caused often by either inbreeding or a riboflavin deficiency. I used to get hatchery EE's all the time with curled toes:

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by