Chicks fighting?

Lacylu

In the Brooder
Nov 7, 2016
I believe my chicks are about 8-12 weeks old. Today I just witnessed one of my supposedly "pullets" fighting with my three male barred rocks. She would harass them and even chase them while grabbing them at the their crown; she has drawn blood from each encounter and I was wondering if she's a male. She's a female "Ameraucana", but I kinda doubt that after researching the difference between Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers. I think the hatchery that I bought them from duped me. Anyways, is this normal chicken behavior? What should I do to stop this behavior and how can I tell if this chick is male?

Any help would be great thanks.

Can you post a pic of her? I'm not sure how many posts you need to have before you will be allowed to post a pic. It's not unusual for a pullet to challenge the cockrels, but... she may very well be a he! Hatcheries are notorious for stating they have Ameraucanas or Araucanas, when, in fact they have Easter Eggers. They should be ashamed of themselves!!! You can tell the difference when the hatchery write up goes something like this: "These birds will lay blue, or green, or olive, or brown, or pink eggs, and we breed for a great assortment of feather patterns and colors." If you are buying an Ameraucana, you will be told exactly what color you are getting. While hatcheries misrepresent these birds, IMO, EE are better layers than Ameraucanas!

All chicks fight.But they usually get more rougher as rhey age.But I do know pullets usaully arent that aggressive

welcome-byc.gif

Post a pic of the bird in question and we can tell you gender.

Back
Top Bottom