Chicks Fighting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SunflowerTheBun, Jan 5, 2017.

1. SunflowerTheBun

SunflowerTheBun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2016
    Victoria, Australia.
    Hi there,

Wondering if anyone can tell me why my 2 month old chicks are fighting?
    There are four, but the biggest two (probably boys) have been chasing and fighting today.
    Their mother had been picking on those two in particular, the biggest two, helping the smaller ones like she always did.

Is it just the pecking order changing, or should I be concerned?

They have never fought before, the hen is a first time mum but seems to be doing a good job.
    Now I can't work out why she chases and picks on the big ones, one in particular, does she think they're too big to be relying on her now and sends them away or something?

Any input is appreciated,
    Sunny.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I'd say that your thoughts are correct. It can be a confusing time for chicks, when momma decides that she is through with looking after them. I can't say that i have observed a mother hen rejecting selected chicks, and continuing to care for others, but I'm pretty sure that other members will have.

As for the chicks fighting - mostly its harmless posturing and nothing to be too concerned about, but do keep an eye on them in the coming weeks.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  3. SunflowerTheBun

Jul 8, 2016
    Victoria, Australia.
    Thanks so much. I do know that I don't have enough room for all seven chicks as well but want to wait until I can tell genders before selling them. :)

4. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    If you post pics on the gender / breed forum, peeps will help you - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

At two months old, it should be fairly easy to discern gender (unless they are silkies)

5. SunflowerTheBun

Jul 8, 2016
    Victoria, Australia.

I have a thread there and unfortunately for telling gender they are silkies haha :p

6. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015

Oh, dear [​IMG]

7. SunflowerTheBun

Jul 8, 2016
    Victoria, Australia.

Hehe it's ok, I love silkies but you've gotta have patience...yyeeeeaaaah I don't have any of that XD

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by