Chicks Fighting?

SunflowerTheBun

Chirping
Jul 8, 2016
Victoria, Australia.
Hi there,

Wondering if anyone can tell me why my 2 month old chicks are fighting?
There are four, but the biggest two (probably boys) have been chasing and fighting today.
Their mother had been picking on those two in particular, the biggest two, helping the smaller ones like she always did.

Is it just the pecking order changing, or should I be concerned?

They have never fought before, the hen is a first time mum but seems to be doing a good job.
Now I can't work out why she chases and picks on the big ones, one in particular, does she think they're too big to be relying on her now and sends them away or something?

Any input is appreciated,
Sunny.

I'd say that your thoughts are correct. It can be a confusing time for chicks, when momma decides that she is through with looking after them. I can't say that i have observed a mother hen rejecting selected chicks, and continuing to care for others, but I'm pretty sure that other members will have.

As for the chicks fighting - mostly its harmless posturing and nothing to be too concerned about, but do keep an eye on them in the coming weeks.

Last edited:
I'd say that your thoughts are correct. It can be a confusing time for chicks, when momma decides that she is through with looking after them. I can't say that i have observed a mother hen rejecting selected chicks, and continuing to care for others, but I'm pretty sure that other members will have.

Thanks so much. I do know that I don't have enough room for all seven chicks as well but want to wait until I can tell genders before selling them. :)

I have a thread there and unfortunately for telling gender they are silkies haha
tongue.png

Oh, dear
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom