1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicks fighting

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Angelwings, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Angelwings

Angelwings Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2012
    some of my chicks have been fighting. Does that mean they are cockerels? my brown ameraucana Muffin fights, but only when basil (the black and white one) chalenges her. is muffin a rooster?

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    no it doesnt mean they are cockerels just establishing the pecking order

3. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    They are actually play fighting as when they become bigger then the matter will be serious.

4. Angelwings

Angelwings Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2012
    Thanks. I am so relieved!

5. Coop Deville

Coop Deville Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    Agreed... it's a pecking order thing.

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    No, my females fight, even the big girls do it as well.

7. KellysUTAHchic

KellysUTAHchic Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2012
    I was wondering the same thing with my two chicks. They have been together at 2 days old and they are now 3 weeks old. They like to run up on each other and jump on one another. I was thinking they were two roosters. Glad to know the females do it too. They seem to only fight when i'm near them, kinda like they are fighting for my attention. They dont peck on each other just like to run and jump.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    All young things play fight. It's practice for dominance later. Chicks, kittens, puppies, goat kids, calves, etc. Oh, and human children.

9. Razzle

Razzle Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2012
    Alfred, ON
    My chicks are doing the same thing right now, as long as no low-blows are given (eye pecking, toe pulling... things like that) it should all be alright!

I'm glad its so normal for chicks to do this, or I might feel bad saying how adorable it is that they are trying to act all tough!

10. Angie8eggs

Angie8eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2012
    Mine were doing that to and they ended up pecking one, where they made her bleed real bad :( so I put a little bit of pine tar on her, and they stopped! :)) Not saying yours will do that, it freaked me out at first when they "fight" like, it's just them being silly! I have 16 together and they do it every once in awhile, even for the big space they have. With my first 6 they never did that- they are my angels ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by