Chicks "fighting?"

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Annichka, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Annichka

Annichka Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2008
    A couple of my chicks seem to be sort of fighting - they approach eachother, flap their wings at eachother, and almost bodyslam or something. Are we just developing a pecking order, or what?

2. comerrick

comerrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Sounds like it to me but I am no expert. I just know my mine do it to and since no one is getting hurt, I figure they are fine.
    Lov
    Liv

3. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:You got it. It gets going early and continues for life.
    Good intuition you got there.

4. ILoveJoe

ILoveJoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    I have three week olds that are doing the same thing. It is alot of fun to watch. They slam dance, kung fu kick and get real close and stare each other down eye to eye. Then they settle down and nap together.

One of the Buff Orpingtons was holding her ground on top of the feeder and another chick tried to get up and she jumped straight up and side kicked that other chick clean off! It was hysterical. People I work with seem enthralled (or glassy eyed) by my chicken stories.

[​IMG]

5. Annichka

Annichka Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2008
    They ARE funny! I have one who is a little pacifist and will not get involved in the fray, but very quietly perches herself above it all, sitting on top of the waterer and watching them. She almost seems to go unnoticed while the other ones are duking it out. I don't know how she does it - but she is black, and I think we may call her "Stealth." Or "Gandhi." Also, when there are treats around, she lets the others go for them and hunts for bugs instead. Then, when they are losing interest, she comes up. I would say she is lowest in the pecking order but she truly just doesn't get involved in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by