chicks fine but poop is green

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hensandchickscolorado, Jul 23, 2011.

1. hensandchickscolorado

hensandchickscolorado Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Englewood Colorado
    I noticed at least one of my 11-week old chicks has some watery green poop going on. I read that it could be a sign of heat...and it's hot here. Chicks are shaded, but the area is still around 85 degrees (but not much humidity).

All four chicks are acting normal. They gobbled up the watermelon I gave them and have been pecking at the scratch in their run.

I did NOT notice them going in & out of the coop for food. Are they possibly too hot to go up & get it? Coop is well ventilated but it was almost 90 in there today. Should I offer food out in the run during these hot days? I have been putting out pans of water with ice. I just started giving them grit about a week or so ago...could this be causing problems?

Is there anything I should immediately worry about? Tomorrow I will mist them a bit more (although they really don't like this much!) and put out food. I'm hoping it's just the heat but if this is a larger emergency, I'll do what I need to do.

Thanks!

2. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

yeah try the food in the run, in the shade.

3. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Watery green poop is usually a sign of not eating enough. They could be feeling too hot to eat, so your idea is a good one.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Also, I would stop the watermelon and scratch. Ensure they are fed starter/grower feed til at least 18-20 weeks old or until one of them lays an egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by