1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick's first day home dilemma

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lilbirdee, Mar 29, 2009.

1. lilbirdee

lilbirdee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    So is it bad to get new chicks from the feed store, bring them home to put in their brooder that is all set up with the temp pre-set and then leave for work for the day?
    If I wait until after work, the feed store will probably be sold out of the ones that I want.
    I just plan on getting 3. Maybe if I go pay for them in the morning when they open, the store will hold them for me until the afternoon?
    I want my new Cochins...but I can't stand the thought of leaving them alone all day on their first day home.
    Maybe I'll just call in sick [​IMG]

2. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Tell them you have chickitis.

3. scarter

scarter Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Roberts, WI
    They will be fine. Just make sure they aren't pasty and that you dip their beaks in water and the food. It's torture to not be able to sit and watch them though.

4. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    No it is not bad. Just make sure they have plenty of water, feed and room to move away from the heat if it gets too hot for them. If nothing else call in like RR said and tell them you have chickitis. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by