1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks First Day...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by janeyiswright, Dec 19, 2015.

1. janeyiswright

janeyiswright New Egg

Dec 14, 2015
    Hackberry, TX
    The day my mom brought me the chicks, I was calling every pet store in the area looking for chick feed. I googled the known feed stores near me and all were no closer than 30 miles in each direction. I saw we could order it online but I needed the feed today. So I called my sister who used to live by where I worked and she had chickens. She told me of a feed store that sold chick food. So on my lunch break I drove down to the feed store. Got my chick starter food and hurried back to work. Still so excited to get home to my chicks (haven't even meet them yet). I hurried home and they were thriving. They loved the chicken feed and Edward built a great starter home. I had read of ways to help identified them using different band types. So I grabbed my daughters wonder loom kit and with her help color coded my chicks. The all looked amazing and we're doing great.

P.S. I found out that they are White Leghorn Chicks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
  3. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Welcome to BYC! Those are some cute chicks. Prepare for lots of eggs if you have a few pullets.

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Congratulations on your chicks :celebrate They are just adorable :love
    I'm pleased to hear you got them started on chick feed, a good start on good food is needed so they can become strong healthy birds.
    Wishing you the very best of luck with your new babies. Be sure to ask any questions that you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly.

Enjoy BYC :frow

1 person likes this.
  5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    They may peck at the red leg bands - chickens are strongly attracted to red/blood etc. Welcome to BYC. Leghorns are very good layers.

1 person likes this.
  7. 45ishChickenMom

45ishChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2015
    Welcome!!! Chickens can and will become an addition. Who knew they could be so entertaining? Pets with benefits, if you will.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. janeyiswright

janeyiswright New Egg

Dec 14, 2015
    Hackberry, TX

Yes, I'm aware they are attracted to red but we didn't have any issues with it. But we have changed it from red to blue just to be safe. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  9. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by