Chicks first night in the coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wgidir, Jun 3, 2012.

1. wgidir

wgidir In the Brooder

May 17, 2012
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    I have seen quite a few postings about this subject but couldn't help myself from
    in. Our 17 four-week old chicks are leaving the nest tonight. Several reasons dictated this:

1. they outgrew their brooder... we let them in the new run for 20 minutes last evening and then took them back into the house last night.... for the first time, we found 7 of them were injuries by pecking this afternoon so we hurriedly got them outside
    2. the weather is really warm today 93° and it is supposed to only get down to 63° tonight
    3. after spending the day outside, they look happier, fluffier, and fly a lot.... I think they even grew in just the one day!

I will admit that I have been outside with them all day and it was a good thing. I discovered that chicks are very good at getting into things that they shouldn't. Like the girl who decided to fly over the new water bucket before we could get the lid on and fell in and had to be rescued. Or the one that found the screw that we must have dropped during construction. Or like the two different girls that found the green netting from the sod and got all entangled....and let us know right away that they were not happy with that situation and afraid... husband had to rescue them as well.

So, yes they will probably be safer in the hen house tonight but that doesn't mean that unless I take a sleeping pill, I won't be up several times checking to make sure they are warm enough, sage enough, and all there. I think these little buggers will find something to get into that we didn't anticipate!

2. SIMZ

SIMZ Crowing

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    So true! It sounds like it's been an adventure so far! :) Mine always seem to be so much happier being outside as well. You'll probably have a few sleepless nights and then realize that they're going to be just fine. We put ours in their "big chicken" coop last week. The next morning we found one of the bantams screaming from inside the big feeder. It must have jumped up on the side and fallen inside. [​IMG]

3. wgidir

wgidir In the Brooder

May 17, 2012
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Simz, thanks for the story! I just rewarded them with some watermelon rind in their treat ball and to watch them trying to spin that thing around to get to the flesh is priceless!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: