Chicks first night out ! Will they be ok ??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kbreak, Dec 23, 2011.

1. kbreak

kbreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    The chicks are 2 weeks old. Have them in a 3x7 run completely covered with a tarp. They have a small pet carrier with hay in it. I have a 250 watt red heat lamp on. Temp at opening of pet carrier is 85 degrees. The low for tonight is 39 degrees. Will they get directly under the light if they aren't warm enough in the pet carrier?

2. kbreak

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    Quote:Update: Feel a little better about them being outside. They were all asleep at the front of the carrier. They felt warm to touch. Should I put a second light in there just in case that one goes out?

3. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Hope they are fine this morning, my guess is they are [​IMG]

I was so worried about putting my 5 week olds out ( highs 50* lows 20*) but they have done GREAT and never used the heat source I had provided.

4. I hope they do ok.

IMPO I wait until they are 4-5 weeks. I provide a heat sourcein the coop for an additional week if temps are below 40 also.

5. kbreak

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    Thank you. They did great last night.

6. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    Heat lamps are dangerous to use outside. For winter hatches i leave them inside for 5-6 weeks then move to an outside building with a 60 watt light bulb for 1 week and change to a 25w for another week. Then i turn the bulb off and leave them in the building for another week or two. After that, i consider them to be adapted for outside temps.

7. kbreak

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    Quote:They were so restless in the container they were in. I had put them in this pen outside during the day and they love it. Why are heat lamps dangerous?? the risk of fire? or just it going out at night? I think I am going to put a second light in there just in case one goes out. The temps aren't gonna be quite as low as last night.

8. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    The risk of fire and cooking the chicks. A regular 100w light bulb 8 inches above the chicks should be just fine.
    Quote:They were so restless in the container they were in. I had put them in this pen outside during the day and they love it. Why are heat lamps dangerous?? the risk of fire? or just it going out at night? I think I am going to put a second light in there just in case one goes out. The temps aren't gonna be quite as low as last night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by