Chicks First Outing... OMG LOL

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SterlingAcres, Aug 24, 2008.

1. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    This morning DH and I worked on the chicken run while the boys played in the yard with the swing set. DH had this idea to wrap the bottom x amount of inches with plywood because of the snowfall here (yes, we're still burying wire). So, we got (average) 2-3 ft tall plywood wrapped around the bottom of the run. We finished half and decided to go out for breakfast and see a friend. When we got back, I took the boys outside and pieced shut the rest of the run and let the chicks out. THEY LOVED IT. I had them out for two hours... They hunted bugs, sand, dust bathed, scratched, teased and jumped on each other and large rocks. They were really having loads of fun. Although the run's half covered in shade, it was getting hot out there, so I decided to call it a day for them and bring the kids inside.

Let's just say I'm going to have to add 'Chicken Wrangler Extraordinaire' to my signature. Those little stinkers found holes I didn't even know were there! Some even jumped the dang walls!! They ran threw the woods, under toys, hid in the weeds... you name it. They did NOT want to go back inside. [​IMG] I was getting so paranoid letting them out of my sight to catch others since I heard a hawk start calling. I was like [​IMG] my chicks are going to get eaten!!! AHHHHHHH!

Oh gosh, if anyone would have been watching me, it'd have been hilarious for them, I'm sure. Wrangling 32 chickens is not fun. I'm out of breath and roasting my tail off! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  2. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Sounds like they had lots of fun, and gave you lots of exercise!! LOL

3. TT

TT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Florida
    [​IMG] The joys of chicken wrangling - I had 3 escapees the otherday (the escape route has been closed) that I had to chase around.

Glad ya got em all.

4. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Heck, 3 escapees is nothing! I had 8 dang birds in the woods with a hawk screetching and they went in 8 different directions! [​IMG] I was scared for their little lives!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by