chicks first outing - pics

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MaineChick, May 15, 2009.

1. MaineChick

MaineChick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2008
    5 Speckled Sussex and 6 Buff Orpingtons see the outside world (in a dog pen) for the first time today, at 14 days old. They loved it, scratched, peeped, looked at everything. Stopped and froze when a door slammed - instinct sets them up nicely, doesn't it? Hope they continue like that as they are destined to be free range eventually.
    [​IMG]

They mobbed the container of sand/gravel!
    [​IMG]

2. undermywings

undermywings chicken chaser

Mar 29, 2009
    California high desert
    Beautiful chicks, nice run. How fun to watch them!

3. pigcoon

pigcoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Vermont
    Where did you get that dog run?

4. northerncaliforniachick

northerncaliforniachick Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2009
    sonoma county
    I just took my 2 oldest chicks out too but all then wanted to do was come sit in my lap:D It did make me feel good!
    Your chickies are very cute [​IMG]

5. eggsited chickens

eggsited chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    SW Michigan
    I can't wait to let my chickies run. It's so fun to watch them. They are 3 weeks right now, but we don't have any grass...waiting for it to grow [​IMG]

6. MaineChick

MaineChick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2008
    Pigcoon - I got the pen ages ago, I think it's a Midwest. www.midwestmetal.com. They don't sell direct, but on their site you could find one and locate a distributor in your area. I like this for chicks as it's the kind with a big door in it that opens from the ground so I can go in and out without stepping over anything. I looked at the chicks, then at the wire spacing, then got the plastic fence material that will be their run until they can be let loose and wrapped it around the bottom of the pen. Good thing, too - one got through the dog pen wire but was stopped by the fence material. Tried to get back in on her own but got stuck - what a racket!! A couple more days and it'll be chick proof as they'll be too big.

I can't wait til the weather is nice here in Maine again. It is great to watch them explore their world and become comfortable with new things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by