1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicks' first tasty treat

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cookinmom, Mar 19, 2007.

1. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    This evening I gave our chicks a mashed up hard-boiled egg for the first time. It was hysterical. They would grab a little piece from my hand and go tearing around the floor, peeping like crazy. Sixteen chicks running around like maniacs; it was quite a sight.[​IMG]

One, Hot Rod, didn't want to take it from me, so she would run around trying to snatch a piece from another chick. She did finally come take some from me. [​IMG]

Valerie

2. d_rooster

d_rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2007
    North Augusta, SC
    Oh, the hard boiled egg sounds like a great idea. I am trying to secure some live mealworms to get a colony of them started for my chicks and the bluebirds that are attempting to nest in the yard. I'll have to try the boiled egg with my chicks since those are readily available. So far, the few bits of lettuce I've offered aren't very interesting to them. I think they really want something that's moving or wriggling.

My baby chicks are the most proud when one of them gets a piece of hay that has fallen in their pen from the inhabited rabbit cage above them. One of the chicks will grab the hay and parade it around like a prize before dropping it through the wire bottom of their cage. Then all of the chicks go back to waiting for something else exciting to be found.

Playing with my chicks has me wanting to watch that movie, Chicken Run, again.

~Donald

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I wish I had a bunch of peppy chicks to watch like that! All I have now are a bunch of fat lazy cornishX's [​IMG]

4. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    This morning the chicks all came running to see if I brought them another egg! Pearl jumped up on my lap, and snuggled in my hand!!![​IMG]

I love my chickies! I have people willing to take my roos, too, as soon as I can be certain which ones they are (there are 2 hens I have not yet identified, mixed in with those roos, and I don't want to give them away by mistake!)

This is so great![​IMG]

5. aimee

aimee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    Lake WaConDa, NE
    Mine love grapes too, cut into pieces. I have three chicks, one is an Ameraucana that is usually very shy until their dish of grapes gets put in their brooder. Then she's the first one with her head in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by