Chicks first week outside

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ewood, Jul 4, 2011.

1. ewood

ewood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Hi. I'm new to chickens and not sure what to think of this. My chicks have just transitioned to their outdoor coop and run 3 days ago. So far, with few exceptions, they won't go in or out of the coop by themselves. Once they're in, they are happy as can be. Once they're out, just as happy, scratching a pecking. But even when it started raining, they huddled up under the coop until I put them back in. I've tried to show them the ramp, but I think it's all just too new for them right now. Is this a typical senario, or do I need to do something? I know it's not anything to be too concerned about, I just feel bad that they seem so confused. Any ideas?

Thanks.
    Liz

2. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

You don't mention how old your chicks are, but, in general, I would say it's a very typical scenario.

My first group took weeks, even a month or so, to figure their way into the coop and pen. It takes them awhile to understand gates and doors, it seems.

They'll get it eventually!

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Quote:X2

(I love your handle...Bawkbawkbawk..[​IMG])

4. ewood

ewood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Thanks. That's what my instincts were telling me, but I wanted to make sure. The chicks are about 7 weeks.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    My babies are now 4 1/2 months old and have only just learned to go in out of the rain! They would run the perimeter of their garden area, in panic mode when the rain was coming down, screaming, "mommy, what do we do!!" So I had to "pat" on the ramp, calling them in every time. They have finally learned. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  6. alisha

alisha Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    with our we actually put them in every night because at that time we didn't have a cover over our run, after about a week or two they finally figured it out that, that's where they are supposed to go at night. as far as when it is raining ours still stay outside. i don't understand that one, but hey they are chickens!

7. VkyVky

VkyVky Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Ventura County, CA
    We just put our almost 5 week old chicks out in the coop/run a few days ago. The sun starts to go down and they go to the corner of the run near the ramp up to the coop and peep plaintively. I've been turning on a lamp for them in the coop to encourage them to go up and in to their home. Last night 4 out of 5 did! We are soooo proud of our little chicks. I had to encourage the one to go inside by putting her on the ramp. She joined her sisters. We are hoping tonight they will go in by themselves. So, I guess it takes the little babies awhile since they don't have a real mommy to show them what's what.

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    You can shut them in the coop for 2 or 3 days and let them get used to it then open their pop door. I do that and also I have given them treats in the evenings in the coop when I want them to go in and then they get used to going in for a treat and after a bit I slow down the treats until I stop giving them. Just some suggestions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by