1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicks flying at light

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ma2babygurl13, Oct 13, 2009.

1. ma2babygurl13

ma2babygurl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Fairborn OH
    So my mix layer chicks are about 3 weeks old, and starting to outgrow their rubbermaid brooder box. We are currently working on remodeling a rabbit hutch for them. I have noticed that they fly up and try to hit the heat light a lot. I will still need to keep a heat lamp on them in their new home. Will they continue to fly at the light even in a bigger area? Should I just keep the light on the outside of the wire (not in with them)? Have you ever had a chick/s try to fly at the light? Why do they do it?

2. Chickn chick 46

Chickn chick 46 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2009
    Never had this happen with my chicks, but a guess might be that they are either cold, bored or cramped. I had my chicks in a plastic box and by 3 weeks they were getting really tight for space.

We moved them into a wire rabbit cage and had the lamp over the wire. At night I would put towels over the sides of the cage to help keep the heat in, but never too close to the light of course. (I used a red 85 watt spot light)

Do you have a roost for them? By that age they enjoyed the roost. I had a small bell that I hung from the top of the rabbit cage and they would jump off the roost and ring the bell [​IMG]

3. ma2babygurl13

ma2babygurl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Fairborn OH
    I think it is both a combination of being cramped and bored. They don't have a roost in there right now, but will in their hutch. I tried putting a roost in their brooder, but it takes up a lot of room, and they seemed scared of it. The hutch is going to be inside our barn in the tack area, so there wont be much of a draft, I have a 60 watt flood bulb, I hope that will be warm enough... the floor is going to be solid for now, and wire later that way the underneath of them wont get cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by