1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicks flying

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mrmolases2, Mar 26, 2017.

1. mrmolases2

mrmolases2 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2017
    i just got two gold/red sex links and two hampshire reds and the same day they are ready flying? and keep knocking all the water out of the feeder

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Why do you have water in your feeder? :oops: Sorry, I couldn’t pass that one up. It’s funny what your fingers type sometimes. I’m not sure what you meant but I’m pretty sure you did not mean that.

How old are those chicks? They do learn to fly very quickly. The wing feathers are the first to come in.

What is your set-up like in the brooder? What kind of waterer and feeder are you using? It’s hard to get too specific when we don’t know what type of feeder or waterer you are talking about.

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Is the coop done? They sound ready for more adventure.

As soon as they have flight feathers, they start to try them out. You can make cones out of some lightweight cardboard (cereal box type stuff) and tape it to the top of the feeder and waterer. That will keep them from landing on it which is usually how they tip them. You should have a cover on the brooder to prevent them flying out and give them some roosts so they can practice flying up to and off of something more appropriate.

4. mrmolases2

Mar 26, 2017
    yeah i finished the coop should i let them walk around my house or go outside

5. mrmolases2

Mar 26, 2017
    i used the waterer where the a dish at the bottom with a cylinder at the top with water in it

6. Hillaire

Hillaire Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    how old are they?

7. mrmolases2

Mar 26, 2017
    how do you know what the flight feather are

8. mrmolases2

Mar 26, 2017
    they are 2 weeks old

9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Flight feathers are the wing feathers. At that age they are very good at flying. This is why it's so important to give them plenty of room in their brooder, so they can behave the way they were meant to behave. If you can move them to the coop, while providing them with enough heat, that would be great. Beautiful pidgeons. I have a friend who raises show pidgeons.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by