Chicks flying?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by black_fx_35, Aug 11, 2010.

1. black_fx_35

black_fx_35 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    I have our 8 two week old chicks in a cardboard brooder with an open top. The cardboard sides are 20 inches high. I am wondering when I will need to put some sort of mesh covering on the top to prevent the chicks from flying out. Any thoughts? Thanks

2. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

yep. Now would be a good time... [​IMG] they'll be hopping up onto the top of the walls in no time flat!

3. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I use a cat or insect net designed for either pram or cot depending how bit the brooder is they have elasticated edges so fit brilliantly. [​IMG]

4. black_fx_35

black_fx_35 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Quote:Thanks. If they get to the walls, are they likely to go out of the brooder? Being on the walls is okay provided they don't leave. Would hate for them not to be able to get back in, and be without food or water for an extended period of time.

5. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    Agreed, some take off early [​IMG]

6. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Once they hit the wall they can go either way. I found mine in bookcases, under pillows....good thing I was able to check on them frequently. [​IMG]

7. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep. mine had a great time investigating the basement. ... and it wouldn't be quite so bad but they really don't seem able to find their way back in once they get out, so they get cold and lonely and sound totally miserable!

8. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

once they make that first ascent to the top of the brooder, all bets are off for them staying inside. They'll be jumping down into the floor and wander around, possibly ending up behind the refrigerator, under the couch, or behind the largest, most immovable item in your home. [​IMG] Also, if they get out there is a very real possibility of one getting stepped on or injured by other pets. You'll need to put a cover over them (preferably mesh or wire of some kind) that allows airflow, but prevents them from escaping. It would also be a good idea to put a weight on it so they can't fly up against it and dislodge it or so other pets can't push it aside and get to the chicks. Congrats on your babies!

9. girlychick

girlychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Ares started flying or jumping around right about 8weeks so you should get a top as soon as you can. They won't hesitate

10. midd2005

midd2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Oahu
    we threw our two oven racks on top of ours and it works like a charm. not so good for when i need to use the oven but it's summer right now and i'm not really using it anyway.

my just over 2 week old barred rocks are jumping/flapping up that high no problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by