chicks food

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by xlisa23x, Aug 10, 2013.

1. xlisa23x

xlisa23x New Egg

Aug 8, 2013
    Suffolk, UK
    Can chicks eat anything else except chick crumb they r 4 days old :)

2. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    It is best to stay with chick food for the first 2 weeks - they'll need all those nutrients because they grow FAST. You can over scrambled or hard-boiled egg, oatmeal, mealworms, grapes, and apples after that. If you do, make sure to prove grit, which are little rocks, so the chickens can digest it properly. [​IMG]

3. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    There is no real need to give them anything else because their chick starter has exactly what they need but you can give egg or yogurt if you want to at this age. I think most people start treats early simply as a bonding tool. I didn't give treats until my pullets were 2.5-3wks old, I just felt like there wasn't a good enough reason too. Sometimes it can be hard to tell if you are over feeding treats. If you offer anything else make sure you add grit to their diet though.

4. GardenDave

GardenDave Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    Oooh this is interesting. I've just been putting down both chicken crumb and layers pellets so the chick could choose to move over slowly him its own time. I never thought of treats for the chick, just mixed corn for the adults. What treats can I give them? At the moment when I put the food in it tries to get away from me, and mum usually takes her off into the hide area.

1 person likes this.
  5. tori8780

tori8780 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2012
    I've read you shouldnt give chicks layer pellets until they are actually laying. Something about it being unhealthy for them. So I wouldnt offer that yet. I give my chicks all sorts of fruit/veggie scraps (they LOVE watermelon) and meal worms. Gonna go to the pet store today and see if I can get some crickets or live worms for them.

6. GardenDave

GardenDave Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    Ahh I have a worm bin where I breed loads for the adults to eat as treats lol. My adults do get all sorts of treats. They also love watermelon but also grapes. If we throw a grape out one of them will run over to it and grab it before being chased all over the garden with it until we throw another one out lol. I usually look at the reduced isle in Asda for cheap scraps for them and I have two allotments where people are always giving away a lettuce here or some potatoes there (I boil and give them potato skins around once a month). Beetroot leaves are a favourite too lol.

I didn't realise about the layers pellets, thanks for the info. I will have to put the layers pellets feeder onto a brick where the chick can't reach them. The chick is only three - four weeks old and she is already about half the size of her mother. In another month she will be fully grown but don't they only start laying at six months? Should I change the mothers food too to something they can share?

7. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    If you have a flock that contains different ages it's best to use "flock raiser" or "Grower" feed, roosters should not eat layer feed. You'll then need to offer calcium free choice and the layers will eat it as needed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by