1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks for FUN

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rehric00, Sep 17, 2013.

1. rehric00

rehric00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    So I have this little silkie that has been sitting in a nesting box, on eggs and even when I take the eggs, she stays there. For days! So, for fun, I took two eggs, marked them and stuck them under her today. I am hoping they hatch in a few weeks. And if they hatch, I am hoping they are eggs from my new hampshire reds. But my rooster is a black copper maran. I just segregated him yesterday, but hoping todays eggs are still fertile from yesterday- should they be? Im new to all this. Its all really a chance, but itll be fun to see how it unfolds :) I will keep you all posted with what happens.

What are you experiences with this?

2. chiqita

chiqita Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    Yes hens store sperm for weeks or months.

3. rehric00

Apr 3, 2013
    wonderful. i got about 11 eggs today and i took the 3 biggest to put under her, hoping they were from my older hens. i say three, because i had a late layer and it was a nice size so i gave it to her. it wont be too disappointing if it doesn't work but thought id give it a try. to me, its worth the three eggs.

4. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    I think you gonna hatch 5 big black chickens!
    I just ditched a clutch of Day 10 banty eggs because they were infertile and gave the little hen some large brown and white eggs of unknown henage. I didn't need any more bantys anyway but can always use more layer hens. My layer hens are mutts so it's always interesting to see what comes out of the egg.

5. rehric00

Apr 3, 2013
    I hope they are not all black! I have a lot of BCMs already. I would like some more New Hampshire Reds. Either way, I will be thrilled if they hatch!! :) I Think I will count tomorrow as day 1.

6. rehric00

Apr 3, 2013
    OK, so the silly girl moved from her three eggs into a nest with no eggs. Why would she do this? She has been sitting on NO eggs for days, so I put them under her and she moves. So I moved the eggs with her. She sat on them for half a day yesterday and they were not hot when I moved them- They are back under her now- Do you think they will be OK since she was only on them for a short while?

7. ChickenLegs13

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    As long as they're fertile they're ok. Kinda like the first several days when a hen goes broody she'll sit on the nest all day then go to the roost at night and let the eggs get cold before she starts sitting 24/7.

8. rehric00

Apr 3, 2013
    So fascinating. I wish I could put a 24 hour cam out there and watch it! Probably be better than most daytime television! Lol

9. acsteele

acsteele Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2013
    South Central Kansas
    Chicken TV!
    They are fascinating to watch

10. ChickenLegs13

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama

Well then hurry up and work like a Hebrew slave all your life and retire like I did and you too can spend your days sitting around watching the chickens scratch on Chicken T.V. and down at the American Legion with grumpy old men discussing their bladder & bowel control issues while being swilling large amounts of cheap draft beer from a bartender named Broom Hilda. ;)
    Keep us posted on the eggs.

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by