chicks for show and tell.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by eggsited chickens, May 11, 2010.

1. eggsited chickens

eggsited chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    SW Michigan
    my son wants me to take some chicks to school for show and tell. Do you think they will be ok in a shoebox with no heater for about a half hour, or should I place somethign in there to keep them warm. If I should put something in there, what should I do? I was thinking a Hot water bottle, but that could roll around and hurt them. The temp today is 45' and windy an rainy! YUCK!

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    You could try heating up a bag of rice in the microwave, wrapped in a dishtowel.

3. eggsited chickens

May 15, 2009
    SW Michigan
    great idea...would corn or peas be ok...or would that leave off a bad smell for them?

4. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I dont think chickens care how they smell. [​IMG]

5. eggsited chickens

May 15, 2009
    SW Michigan
    haha! I didn't mean that [​IMG] but I guess that was a stupid question...I was more concerned about them keeling over b/c of the fumes killing them. Corn doesn't smell good heated up

6. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Quote:I think she means something like this ~ you can make a simple one by putting rice in a clean tube sock and tying the end off. They make the best heating pads for aches and pains.

[​IMG]

So here's how to make your own:

find a sock, preferably a tube or knee sock
    get about six to eight cups of uncooked white rice (not minute rice) and fill the sock with it
    using a heavy (darning?) needle and thick thread, sew the sock shut about two inches from the end
    use a piece of ribbon to finish the end with a bow
    optional: use a match to singe the ends of the ribbon so it doesn't fray. be careful!

It heats up in the microwave in about 90 seconds​

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  7. eggsited chickens

May 15, 2009
    SW Michigan
    Quote:I think she means something like this ~ you can make a simple one by putting rice in a clean tube sock and tying the end off. They make the best heating pads for aches and pains.

http://www.chronicbabe.com/pics/newheatpack.jpg

So here's how to make your own:

find a sock, preferably a tube or knee sock
    get about six to eight cups of uncooked white rice (not minute rice) and fill the sock with it
    using a heavy (darning?) needle and thick thread, sew the sock shut about two inches from the end
    use a piece of ribbon to finish the end with a bow
    optional: use a match to singe the ends of the ribbon so it doesn't fray. be careful!

right! Got it. I have corn and pea bags...no need to make a rice bag too. [​IMG]
    It heats up in the microwave in about 90 seconds

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by