Chicks found dead and slimy

GratefulGirl

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
We have lost 2 eight week old chicks. We are guessing snakes but not sure because we just find the chick dead with slimy stuff from their head to the upper chest. Is this a snake who has tried to eat the chicks and they are too big to swallow?

Their grow out house is 2 feet off the ground surrounded by 1/4" welded wire including on the bottom.

Any ideas to keep our remaining chicks alive?

We have lost 2 eight week old chicks. We are guessing snakes but not sure because we just find the chick dead with slimy stuff from their head to the upper chest. Is this a snake who has tried to eat the chicks and they are too big to swallow?

Their grow out house is 2 feet off the ground surrounded by 1/4" welded wire including on the bottom.

Any ideas to keep our remaining chicks alive?
Yes, snake. Don’t leave anything the snake can hide under in or around the coop. If you see it? Kill it.

I'm so sorry. I'm dealing with it also. But I only lost 1 2 week old sexlink chick. And got the snake. A 5' rat snake. After swallowing the chick it was too big to get back out thru the 1x1 welded wire on a window. At least I think that's how it got in. Everything else is 1/2 hardwire cloth. Never thought about a window 4 foot off the ground. Bad lesson to learn

Yes, snake. Don’t leave anything the snake can hide under in or around the coop. If you see it? Kill it.
Thanks for responding. There is nothing in there to conceal them. It is like the thing finds a way in, tries to eat the chick, can't and leaves. Ugh. I actually brought them back into the garage until we can figure out what to do.

I'm so sorry. I'm dealing with it also. But I only lost 1 2 week old sexlink chick. And got the snake. A 5' rat snake. After swallowing the chick it was too big to get back out thru the 1x1 welded wire on a window. At least I think that's how it got in. Everything else is 1/2 hardwire cloth. Never thought about a window 4 foot off the ground. Bad lesson to learn
We lost a Buff Orpington and an Ideal 236. So sorry for your loss. So traumatizing!

We lost a Buff Orpington and an Ideal 236. So sorry for your loss. So traumatizing!
Sorry for your BuffO and 236
Yes, very. Worst part was knowing the bulge in the belly was my chick. But it kept the snake from being able to get back out.
The other 5 just started acting normal today. Guess it traumatized them also

Last edited:
Thanks for responding. There is nothing in there to conceal them. It is like the thing finds a way in, tries to eat the chick, can't and leaves. Ugh. I actually brought them back into the garage until we can figure out what to do.
They must be getting in somewhere.
Maybe a game cam will help?

Snakes can get thru very small openings. I had a 5' rat snake get in my coop thru a window 4' off the ground. It was only covered in 1x2" welded wire. This snake was as big around as a golf ball. They can come in thru mouse/rat holes in the ground also. Or over the roof.

I love my game cameras. I have several in different places. I put them up originally to see what critters roam on our property at night and to my surprise more than I thought.

Back
Top Bottom