Chicks from a feed store, wondering what type.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by offroadx, Dec 30, 2014.

1. offroadx

offroadx New Egg

Dec 30, 2014
    I grew up with chickens as a child and have always loved them. However I never looked into getting certain breeds when I decided to get chicks.

The adult chickens in the photo are chickens that appeared a few years ago and laid eggs in our yard and then left and now we had a couple of the chicks stuck around and they are brooding again. The chicks though I brought from a feed store about 3 weeks ago and have no idea what they are... I'm hoping for egg layers since I want to stop buying eggs...

what do you guys think my chicks are and what type are the adults that have adopted us?

Thank you :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    Is the roo pictured a bantam? He looks like my banty BB Red Old English Game. He could be a standard size one too. Not sure about the hen in picture 2, hopefully someone else can help you with her. If you bought the little guys from a feed store, they are probably common dual purpose breeds used for both meat and eggs. Those guys look like Buff Orpingtons and Barred Rocks, both nice producers of brown eggs. [​IMG]

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    The hen looks like it could be a Welsummer.

I agree the chicks are Barred Plymouth Rocks and Buff Orpington.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I'd guess gamefowl for your adult birds, but I'm not sure on those white legs on the rooster. Don't know if that means he's mixed?

Your chicks are barred Rocks and buff Orpingtons. They should be great layers for you.

6. offroadx

offroadx New Egg

Dec 30, 2014
    Thank you.. now I have to wait and hope they are hens :) they said they were 2 weeks old when I got them so that puts them around 5 weeks old.

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x3

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by